Why not add a bit of colour to your next BBQ with these grilled flavor packed tempeh skewers of lemongrass, turmeric and coconut. Served on a bed of fresh greens and a squeeze of grilled lime juice over the top.
- 1 packet plain tempeh (300g)
- 1 finger fresh turmeric piece (around 5 cm long), roughly chopped (or 1.5 teaspoons turmeric powder)
- 1 stalk lemongrass stalk (base end only)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small piece of ginger, roughly chopped (1/2 tablespoon)
- 2-3 medium eschallots, roughly diced
- 200ml coconut cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of left over marinade
- 100ml coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt to taste
- 2 limes
- 1/2 bunch watercress leaves (thoroughly washed and woody stalks removed)
- 1/2 packet of baby purple kale or baby spinach leaves (thoroughly washed)
- Grapeseed oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 5-7 skewers (if using wooden, soak in water for 10 mins before use)
- To prepare the marinade: combine all of the marinade ingredients except for the tempeh into a food processor and blitz until it resembles a smooth paste. Slice the tempeh into triangles. Slice the triangles in half (so that the thickness reduces by about half and becomes approx. 1.5cm thick). Place into a flat base ceramic dish. Pour over the marinade, cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hrs. Leaving it to marinade overnight will produce the best result.
- Once the tempeh has marinated, lightly brush off any excess marinade (do not throw it away as this is needed for the sauce). Gently thread the triangles onto the skewers through the width so they will sit evenly flat on the fry pan when cooking.
- Bring a flat BBQ grill or large heavy based fry pan to medium heat, drizzle well with oil. Once the pan or grill is well heated place each skewer on, once the tempeh is golden and a light crust forms, very gently flip them over using tongs to cook the other side (approx. 8-10 mins each side).
- Slice the limes in half and place cut side down onto the grill until they caramelise and slightly char.
- To prepare the sauce: add all ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer on a medium heat whilst stirring. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce heat. The sauce will reduce and thicken a little, then take it off the heat (approx. 8-10 mins in total).
- Serve the tempeh skewers on a bed of watercress and baby purple kale leaves or baby spinach leaves, squeeze the grilled limes over the top. Serve sauce on the side with a pinch of sweet paprika over the top.
Recipe created for Harris Farm https://www.harrisfarm.com.au/collections/turmeric-tempeh-skewers