This fried rice is light and fresh, packed full of vegies and is a colourful healthy dish to serve. The flavours of the kimchi are the hero that make this style of fried rice shine.
- 350g kimchi
- 1 whole cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 bunch Asian greens, chopped (Choy Sum or Bok Choy)
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 5 shallot stems, finely chopped (white base)
- 1/2 bunch garlic shoots, chopped finely (optional)
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 small piece of ginger, finely chopped (1/2 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Grapeseed oil (vegetable oil)
- 2 tablespoons dried shallots
- Blitz the cauliflower florets in a food processor in two batches until it is roughly the size of rice.
- Thinly slicethe discarded green leaves of the shallots then place in a bowl of cold iced water. Set aside for garnishing.
- Bring a wok to medium high heat, add a drizzle of grapeseed oil and swirl the wok to thinly coat the base. Cook the egg on one side, flip and cook the other side. Once cooked, remove from heat and roll the egg up on a chopping board and thinly slice. Set aside.
- Reheat the wok to a medium high heat and drizzle with oil. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until golden. Add half of the cauliflower and a pinch of salt, using a spatula keep tossing the cauliflower mix until it’s toasted and tender but not mushy. This doesn’t take long, be mindful not to overcook it (5-7mins). Set aside and cook the 2nd batch.
- Once both batches are cooked, add them both back into the wok along with the kimchi and the juices, mix through, remove from heat and set aside. It is best not to heat up the kimchi too much.
- Using the same wok on medium high heat, add a dash of oil then the carrots. Keep tossing quickly using a spatula, once the carrots start to become tender add the broccolini, Asian greens, garlic shoots, shallots and the tamari. Keep tossing until all the vegetables are tender but still a little firm. Add the cauliflower mix and the sliced egg, stir through to combine, remove from the heat and gently toss through 1/3 of the coriander leaves.
- Serve with a good sprinkle of dried shallots over the top along with the thinly sliced shallots (patted dry in a tea towel), and the remanding coriander leaves.
Recipe created for Harris Farm https://www.harrisfarm.com.au/collections/kimchi-cauliflower-fried-rice