Tempeh is perfectly suited to be marinated and grilled over a BBQ or in a skillet. This Asian inspired marinade absorbs all of the lovely flavours of honey, ginger, garlic and tamari, producing a tasty protein packed alternative to meat.
- 1 packet plain tempeh (300g)
- 3 green shallots stems, thinly sliced (white base)
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 small piece of ginger, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons peanut oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 cup brown rice, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 ¾ cups of water
- pinch of salt
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 small piece of ginger, finely chopped (1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 bunch Asian greens (Choy Sum or Bok Choy)
- 1/4 cup edamame beans (if frozen, thawed out and shelled from pods)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 thinly sliced radishes
- 3 tablespoons purple cabbage sauerkraut or other sauerkraut (this can be substituted for pickled ginger)
- extra toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoon of left over marinade
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon shiro miso paste
- To prepare the marinade: combine all of the ingredients except for the tempeh into a small bowl and stir to combine. Slice the tempeh into 2.5cm wide strips and place into a flat base ceramic dish. Pour the marinade over, cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hrs. Leaving it to marinate over night will produce the best result.
- To prepare the rice: add a dash of peanut or vegetable oil into a rice cooker or medium saucepan. Add garlic, ginger and sauté until light and golden (be mindful not to burn). Add the rice and stir to coat before adding water and a pinch of salt. Place lid on and allow to simmer for 15-20 mins, fluff up the rice with a fork once it is cooked and all of the water has been absorbed.
- To grill the tempeh: heat up a BBQ or grill pan to medium heat. Lightly oil the grill pan and place the tempeh on, once it’s cooked gently flip to cook the other side. Look for a nice golden colour with slight char marks (approx. 8-10 mins each side).
- Lightly steam the Asian greens and set aside.
- To prepare the dressing: add all of the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce heat and stir. Remove from heat after the dressing has been cooking for 8-10 mins in total.
- To serve: in a wide bowl, first add a plentiful amount of rice, arrange the greens, tempeh, sliced radish, avocado, edamame and the sauerkraut or pickled ginger around the edge of the rice. Pour over the dressing and top with an extra sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Recipe created for Harris Farm https://www.harrisfarm.com.au/collections/buddha-bowl-marinated-tempeh